Core purpose of the role:
The core purpose of the role is to execute strategic business plans by translating them into measurable business outcomes and to be accountable for profitability, growth of key accounts, sustainable business performance and growth of new business opportunities. In addition to this, close collaboration with key external and internal stakeholders, together with being a professional representative and brand ambassador for the company is imperative.
- Position: General Manager I
- Business Unit: Transport (Mining & Agriculture)
- Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
- Closing date: 31 March 2019
Key deliverables and outputs:
- Manage and execute tactical plans with the operational teams to ensure that the Business Unit attains its objectives as cost-effectively and efficiently as possible (cascade to team and monitor progress)
- Business development
- Assist in formulating and implementing marketing and business development plans to grow the business, ensuring sustainable business performance.
- Represent the company in negotiations to secure the most favourable contract terms.
- Drive a culture of continuous innovation and improvement by ensuring that the Business remains at the fore front of the industr
- Financial management
- Manage financial performance and reporting.
- Prepare and gain approval of the annual budget for operating unit (incl. PBIT, Economic Profit, Free cash and Roic)
- Monitor delivery efficiently to ensure that budget targets are met, that revenue flows are maximised and that fixed costs are minimised.
- Customer centricity
- Establish and maintain effective formal and informal links with major customer stakeholders to cement sustainable relationships and ensure contractual KPIs are met.
- Develop and maintain relationships with associated stakeholders in government departments and agencies, local authorities, other key decision-makers to ensure that the Business is providing the appropriate range and quality of services.
- Risk, Ethics and Compliance
- Manage ethics, risk, governance and SHEQ in line with legislation, company policies & procedures and relevant regulations and Barloworld standards
- Drive all safety, health and environmental policies and procedures to create a safe workplace for all and meet legislative requirements.
- Talent Management and employee performance
- Direct and control workforce planning of the business unit by championing an effective talent strategy.
- Ensure effective organization design, intellectual capital reviews, skills development and succession planning so that the operational unit is able to achieve its key strategic, financial and transformation targets.
- Implement an integrated performance management process to drive performance excellence. Drive a climate and culture of high performance and employee engagement, in line with Barloworld’s employee value proposition. Manage, develop and coach own team
- Promote and direct the implementation of Barloworld Logistics’ transformation and sustainability policy and strategy in all aspects of diversity and inclusion, supplier development and community involvement.
- Supplier management
- Negotiate favourable contracts and implement service level agreements with relevant operational unit suppliers who meet the company requirements for compliant and B-BBEE certified suppliers.
- All other operational & business units
- Shared Services
- Barloworld Logistics
- Service Providers
- Industry Organisations
- Bachelor’s degree transport/logistics management
- Relevant business management qualification would be an added advantage.
- Drivers licence
- Valid Passport
- 7 – 10 years in a senior management role in Transport operational environment
- Experience in the following transport disciplines:
- Demonstrated financial and commercial acumen
- Proven track record of strategic customer relations management
- Experience in presenting and negotiating at Senior Management and Board levels
- Have established networks within the relevant industry
- Extensive knowledge of the logistics industry
- Sound understanding of business, transport related legislation
- Broad understanding of labour legislation and Bargaining Council agreements
- Well versed in all managerial functions including Operations, HR, Financial, SHEQ, Risk and Governance
- Financial and business acumen
- General business management
- Relevant functional processe
- Operational Excellence methodology
- Highly developed communication skills to persuade, influence and negotiate
- Highly developed Interpersonal skills to EQ, networking, including sensitivity to diversity and conflict resolution skills
- Strong ability to interpret numerical information
- Strong ability to take profit and loss accountability
- Critical thinking skills to analyse and diagnose requirements, develop solutions and solve relatively complex problems
- Ability to effectively document facts, chart information visually and write reports
- Ability to multi-task
- Computer, technology and systems
- Drive for defining future strategy
- A focus on translating strategy into action
- Commitment to the Barloworld values
- Strong drive for business growth
- Customer centricity and focus
- Strong desire to lead others and drive our culture
- Remain resilient with stress and pressure
- Strong agility for change management
- Orientation towards growing and nurturing relationships
- Focus on getting things done
- Clear convincing communication skills
- Focus on innovating
- Appreciation for challenging others with respect
- Commitment to maintaining business awareness
- Preference for analysing and solving problems
- Preference for team working
Barloworld Logistics is an equal opportunity employer and preference will be given to individuals from the designated groups.
If you have not received a response within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful